Giving the Gift of Connection
As the holiday season approaches, this year it is bittersweet. Bitter — because Covid-19 cases are surging across the country and we all need to remain vigilant about mask wearing, sanitizing and keeping up our social distance efforts; sweet– because with the first vaccines now being rolled out, there is hope on the horizon for a return to normality sometime mid to late 2021. So, what should gift giving look like in 2020, especially with the older adults in our life who have suffered so much both physically and emotionally? This may be the year to consider changing it up! Instead of a physical gift, why not think outside the box and give the gift of connection? This may seem like an oxymoron given that we are still battling against the virulent winds of a dangerous pandemic, but connection transcends physical boundaries. Gifting a joyful, uplifting experience during this 2020 holiday season can be special because it is ultimately deeply human and life affirming! Here are 5 terrific ideas curated by our amazing MindSense cognitive enrichment specialists to get you inspired.
- MasterClass: Learn from 90+ of the world’s best minds. Watch thousands of lessons from the best as they share their stories, skills, shortcuts, failures, and successes.
- Sing for your Seniors: A non-profit organization that enriches lives through the universal language of music by bringing professional performing artists to the communities of seniors in need to entertain, foster intergenerational connection and create shared joy.
- Concerts in Motion: Professional and student musicians bringing personal and live concerts to people who are experiencing physical frailty or cognitive limitation with the goal of bringing everyone the music they love most.
- 92Y: Explore new interests at New York City’s premier cultural and community organization by signing up for online classes at the 92Y: ceramics, dance, literature & writing, jewelry, drama, etc. You can also tune in for special events such as concerts, discussions, poetry readings, & more!
- MindSense: One-on-one cognitive enrichment sessions run by therapeutic specialists who use the power of intentional & curated connection to decrease social isolation, re-engage curiosity and create joyful moments improving the quality of life of older adults and their families. Sessions can be in-person, virtual or hybrid.
Wishing you and your loved ones a safe, loving, and connected Holiday Season!
Written by Anne Sansevero